Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gifts for Kaylee's Teacher

I made three things for Kaylee's Teacher today.
For the picture frame, you will need a picture frame, crayons (about a box and a half), hot glue and something to cut the crayons with.

I layed out the crayons to see how they would fit and made a mark where the ones on the edge would need to be cut.

I then used the hand saw to cut the crayons so they would fit.

Once I had all of the crayons cut, I hot glued them around the frame.

Next, I made a glass block.  I started with a rectangluar glass block.
I took crayons and filled the block. It was harder than I thought it would be to fill this with crayons, but I eventually got them in there.  It took about 3 boxes to fill this and I only had 2 boxes of Crayola, so I had to mix in some Roseart ones, but I think it will be fine.
Now, I added some ribbon around the block and tied a bow.  I used hot glue to hold down the ribbon at the top, because I didn't want it to come undone while Kaylee was transporting it. 
Then, I took white vinyl and used the Don Juan cart to cut out the teacher's name for the front of the block.
Finally, I made her a memo board.  I started with a pizza pan and spray painted it with Krylon Banner Red paint.

Then, I used glass stones, small bits of scrapbook paper and mod podge to make some magnets.  Once the paper was dried onto the stones, I added an adhesive backed magnet to them.

Once the paint was dry, I used the Don Juan cart and white vinyl to cut the teacher's name out again.  Then, I cut the crayon box from Simply Charmed and glued it to the pan.  Finally, I hot glued some ribbon to the pan so it can be hung up.

I went with a crayon theme, because they are a first grade class and her teacher doesn't have a specific theme in her room.  At the beginning of the year, I made her one of the crayon wreaths, so this will all go good with it.

9 comments:

LesleyfromWI said...

Cute gifts. I really like the crayon frame.

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Super cute projects! Love all the crayons!

Besthobbyeva said...

I am telling you, you come up with the best projects. That frame is adorable! Her teacher is sure to love them. The memo board is soo cute!!!

Rhonda Emery said...

she will love it is so great.

Amanda said...

Thanks for the ideas! These are great!!! I might have to try my hand at one of those magnet boards!!! :D Thanks for sharing your pressies!!!!

Lisa J said...

This makes me wish I was Ms. Humphries! :) These are all too cute!

TFS!

tjsgal at gmail dot com

Tanya said...

Love these ideas! The frame is my favorite, my son will start school next year so I will get a chance to make some of these fun things!!

Rose said...

I love all of your projects!!!But my fav. is how you made those magnets wow so easy!
TFS
Rosebud222222222@aol.com

Lisa said...

The crayon frame is awesome.